Monday 30 March 2009

114 and 113 days to go: Another Birthday Weekend






Yet another busy weekend.
On Saturday while the boys were at football I cycled into the village and enjoyed a coffee at Cafe Nero with my daughter.
I learned an amazing amount about her school life and the different groups girls belong to. The are emos, goths, chavs and pretty pink chavs.
From what I was told the definitions are apparently as follows:
Emos- wear big hair, bright clothes, skinny jeans and cut their arms (this from my 11-year-old, sadly).
Goths - wear black clothes, black make-up and black looks.
Chavs - wear tracksuits and pyjamas as their everyday attire.
Pretty Pink Chavs - as above but the colours and clothes are nicer and they like to wear make-up.
My daughter is happy to class herself as a chav - I am so proud.
I suppose out of the four it is possibly the best category.
"But can't you just be yourself?" I asked.
There was no reply just a disdainful look of pity from over the generation chasm.

On Saturday evening we went to our friends for dinner and remembered to come home early as we were about to lose an hour's sleep.

On Sunday I took my eldest son to Everton FC's football academy as he was refereeing a match while my husband took our other two boys to their matches.
We rushed back as it was my soon to be nine-year-old's birthday party.
I had booked the local sports hall and had 22 boys coming.
The only problem was the caretaker didn't turn up to unlock the hall and the numbers I had were all on voicemail.
It is times like this I really appreciate my husband who is a junior football coach.
Fortunately it was one of the nicest days of the year and we took the boys out on the school playing field.
I had prepared all the food beforehand so I got a tablecloth and laid it on the grass where we had a picnic.
I don't think the boys even noticed there was a problem and it is certainly a party I will remember.
And as it is now Monday - Happy Birthday Ben.

On Saturday I wore:
day
black skinny jeans - falmer
black boots,pink belt and blouse - dorothy perkins
caridgan - m and co

eve
black skinny jeans - as before
blue top - birger
shoes - next

Sunday I wore:
top - george
jeans - pap
shoes - clarks
cardigan - Principles
scarf - Next
sunglasses - tesco
Ben's kit - Liverpool

16 comments:

PrestonBunny said...

Just saying hey because Im doing the same thing, not for a whole year but a month of none-clothe buying,its killing me already! How r u doing it! Anyway good luck :)

Donna

Jane said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - it's hard. I queued up with two dresses in Next at the checkout yesterday but made myself take them back to the racks!

PrestonBunny said...

that would have broke me! Ive just not gone shopping but being off work with a bad back and dissertation work as helped me not leave that house (But I like to think it will power!)

Good luck again :)

Jean said...

Sounds like you had a fun but busy weekend. 113 days to go? Does it feel like you're on the home stretch now?

Stephanie N. said...

That scarf is gorgeous.

Way to cope with the building being locked up!

I had never before heard the term "Chav." Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be all in the know if it makes it across the pond.

Jane said...

nsm - yes it was busy weekend. I get the Sunday evening feeling. It's a bit like the Friday feeling when the working week is over. Mine just gets harder until Monday morning when there is a slight reprieve.
Stephanie - if you google chav you will find lots. It is a very popular term for a very unattractive look.

lunarossa said...

Hi Jane, happy birthday to Ben. he's absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure my daughter would be interested in meeting him! She 's totally into football and we are a Liverpool fan family... I'm going to Italy on Saturday so I will have big problems not to give in to shopping temptations!!! Great that the party well well. Ciao. Antonella

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful family filled weekend! :-) Mine was errands and work filled but I managed to fit a bunch of crafting in too, keeping me happy.

ellie mae said...

Looks like the party went great and everything worked out! I bet Ben loved it. I keep forgetting football is soccer over there. I saw the soccer ball in the picture for the reminder :)
Love your outfits. They look really nice on you.

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I LOVE that scarf!

So weird about school social groups. Those are her only four choices?!? But you're right, I guess "chav" is the best of the four. Although, why the groups have to exist at all is beyond me.

And -- glad the party went well!

*Diane* said...

sounds like you had a crazy busy weekend. and lol hard to your 11-yr old's decrip of the different groups. By the way, you look stunning in that blue color

KT said...

Way to turn a bad situation around! Funny thing- We had the exact same candles for my daughters birthday!

Sheila said...

You look fab, Jane! I love the pink belt.

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Oh I hope when my daughter is a teenager she won't feel she needs to fit into one of these groups!

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Jane - are you happy for me to use the comment you left me about my book on my blog as a testimonial? I'll link back to your blog.

Candycane said...

your birthday party outfit is really cute - and love the sunglasses!